Skip to Content

Can you live off-base with girlfriend?

Yes, you can live off-base with your girlfriend in the military. Depending on the branch of service, some branches differentiate between the terms “dependents” and “live-in companions,” so it is important to first check the policies of your specific branch.

Generally, it helps if your girlfriend is listed as your dependent and can provide documentation that proves her status as your dependant and that includes her name, Social Security Number and your rank or type of duty.

You must also typically provide a lease or rental agreement that shows you as the tenant/s and verify your military status by providing your military identification card. Additionally, any other members of the household such as your children and/or other dependents must also provide the required documentation.

There may be a few other documentation requirements, so it is important to contact your command’s Housing Services Office for further information.

Can unmarried couples live off-base?

Yes, unmarried couples can live off-base as long as they follow certain guidelines set forth by the hosting country and the military. Generally, unmarried couples living off-base are subject to the same rules and regulations of other households in the same area.

The base commander may have additional requirements concerning unmarried couples living off-base, including possible restrictions on the number of people occupying the same dwelling.

For example, both members of the couple may require to be registered with the host nation and provide proof of identity. Military members may also need to provide proof of their marriage in order to receive special benefits or access to facilities or services.

Regulations may also include a personal misconduct clause that outlines behaviors that can jeopardize living in a non-military household.

Additionally, unmarried couples living off-base should also be aware of local laws that might apply to them. This is especially true for those couples who are in same-sex marriages or relationships, as laws and restrictions on such relationships vary greatly around the world.

It is important to carefully research the laws and regulations of your host country so that you can understand and abide by them.

Can my boyfriend live with me on a military base?

Whether or not your boyfriend can live with you on a military base depends on a few factors. First and foremost, your boyfriend must meet the eligibility requirements for living on base. These requirements are typically outlined in the Service Members Civil Relief Act, and usually involve proving a certain status such as being a full-time student, disabled, or having a dependent.

Additionally, your Commanding Officer or Base Housing will need to approve any visitors staying on-base for longer than 30 days. Your Base Housing Office will provide you with the proper forms to complete for your request, and usually require proof of marriage or relationship.

If your boyfriend does not meet the eligibility requirements and is not able to provide the correct documentation, he will not be able to live or stay on the base. However, depending on the location of the base, there might be nearby housing options off-base that can accommodate you and your boyfriend.

Can single people live on base?

Yes, single people can live on base. Depending on the branch of military, single people are allowed to live in the barracks for up to three years. Depending on the availability of the barracks, single people may not be able to stay longer than three years.

In some cases, single people may be allowed to stay in the barracks beyond the three year period, if they are enrolled in a military education program, have a high deployment rate, have special medical needs, etc.

If the barracks availability is limited, single people may have to live off base and find their own housing.

Do you have to live in the barracks if your married?

Typically, if you are married and in the military, you do not have to live in the barracks. However, couples with dependent children, due to family housing limitations, may be offered barracks or dormitory living if there is no family housing available.

Additionally, members assigned to remote locations may be required to live in barracks or dormitory housing due to geographic proximity to their unit. Some branches of the military may also offer barracks living as an option to married couples who are looking for more affordable reliable housing.

Ultimately, the arrangements will depend upon the specific housing situation available at the soldier’s assigned unit.

Is military housing only for married couples?

No, military housing is not only available to married couples. It is often available to single personnel as well. However, each branch of the military has its own policies that dictate who is allowed to live in military housing.

Generally speaking, single personnel who are junior enlisted, cadets, or officers are eligible to live in military housing. Additionally, some branches of the military will also allow single parents to live in military housing depending on their specific housing needs.

Furthermore, most military housing facilities offer different types of housing as well, such as barracks, single family homes, townhouses, and apartments. Each Branch of the military sets criteria for who is eligible for each type of housing, so it is important to check the policies of the specific branch you are in to determine your eligibility for the type of housing you are interested in.

Who is not allowed on military bases?

Generally speaking, access to military bases is restricted to members of the military and their families, individuals with valid security clearances, and other personnel who are authorized to be on the base.

Civilians, including employees of government contractors, are also occasionally authorized to access military bases for specific purposes. Unauthorized individuals, such as family, friends, or acquaintances of military personnel, tourists, and members of the general public, are not allowed on military bases, unless specifically authorized and escorted by a member of the military or personnel who is authorized to access the base.

Generally, all visitors must present valid identification at the security checkpoint. Additionally, based on the purpose of a visitor’s visit and their age, additional items may be requested, such as background checks and vehicle searches.

Who can live with you on base?

The people who are generally allowed to live on base with you are typically family members including your parents, spouse and/or dependents. In some cases, certain friends, co-workers, roommates and/or family members who are not dependents may be allowed to live with you if you request to have them on your housing lease.

Certain military installations may also allow you to have a pet live with you, depending on where you are stationed. Each base has its own rules and regulations regarding living arrangements, so you should check with the housing office for more information about who is allowed to live with you on base.

At what rank can you live off base?

The rank at which a service member may be authorized to live off-base depends on a variety of factors including their pay grade and dependent status. Generally, service members may be authorized to live off-base when they reach the rank of E-4, so long as their pay grade is appropriate and they are in the correct specialty.

Factors such as deployment status and existing housing availability may also impact whether permission to move off-base is granted. In many cases, permission for US military personnel to live off-base requires approval from the base commander.

Do soldiers live rent free?

No, soldiers do not live rent free. While living in the barracks on post, there is no charge for lodging. For those who opt to live off-post, they will be required to pay rent like any other tenant. The U.

S. Army provides members with a Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) to help with the financial burden of housing costs. The rates are determined by the location of where they are stationed and should be sufficient to cover the housing costs.

They may also qualify for certain benefits like the Veterans Affairs Home Loan Program that could make it easier to purchase a home. In short, soldiers do not live rent free but may have access to financial aid to help with the costs.

Do you get BAH if you live off post?

Whether or not you receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) if you are living off post depends on a few different factors. It generally depends on whether you are living in government-owned quarters or private housing.

If you are living in government-owned quarters, you will not be eligible to receive BAH, because BAH is reserved for those living in private housing. However, you may be eligible to receive other allowances such as Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) and Variable Housing Allowance (VHA).

If you are living in private housing off post, you may be eligible to receive BAH. To be eligible, the Department of Defense must consider your living quarters adequate and secure. You must also be living within the designated geographic area for BAH or an area considered equivalent to that geographic area in order to be eligible.

Additionally, if you are living in the area with a military household family member, you must provide a copy of the lease or rent agreement signed by the head of household (and two other people regarded by the service) as proof of occupancy.

If you meet all of these requirements, you may be eligible to receive BAH.

Can you visit someone on an army base?

Yes, it is possible to visit someone on an army base. In order to visit an Army base, you must first obtain a visitor pass. This can be done in a couple of ways. For those who have an active sponsor, they can leverage their sponsor to vouch or approve their request to receive a visitor pass.

The sponsor must be a current military member who resides or is stationed on the base the visit is intended for. This can be done by using the sponsor’s email address to fill out the visitor pass application that is available on the installation’s website.

Alternatively, visitors can also go to the visitor center on site to apply for a visitor pass. There, they need to bring two forms of government-issued photo identification as well as proof of sponsorship by a military member stationed at the installation.

The visitor will have to show proof of their relationship or contact information of the current military member they are visiting. There may be additional questions that are required to be answered if deemed necessary by the Army personnel.

Once the visitor pass is approved, visitors can come onto the base which is sure to be an enjoyable and memorable experience.

Can visitors stay in army barracks?

Visitors are not typically allowed to stay in army barracks. Barracks are reserved for military personnel and other individuals who have been authorized to stay on military installations, such as active duty military families, DoD civilian employees, and service academy students.

Visitors who wish to stay near a military installation may be able to find lodging off site at local hotels. Some larger posts have hotels that are on post. If the visitor is eligible and holds a Common Access Card (CAC) they may be able to stay on post in billeting facilities such as Bachelor Officers’ Quarters (BOQ) and Guest Quarters (GQ’s).

If the visitor has family in the military, they may also be allowed to stay on post as an authorized guest as long as they are accompanied by the service member or their family. Additionally, some posts offer RV parking for visitors.

Can military spouses bring guests on base?

Yes, military spouses can bring guests on base, depending on the installation’s policies. Generally speaking, each installation will have its own policy on who is allowed on base. Certain installations may require guests to be registered before they can gain access to the base.

Additionally, some even require a valid ID.

It is important to investigate the rules and regulations of the particular installation you are trying to gain access to as every installation has their own policy. It is also possible you may need to accompany your guest if they are not allowed to sign for themselves.

It is best to contact the installation or post office in question to see what the rules and regulations are for bringing a guest onto the base or military installation.

Can your wife go with you on deployments?

It depends on the type of deployment and the particular branch of the military that someone is in. In most circumstances, the wife of a service member, or a student on active duty, is not allowed to accompany them on a deployment.

However, there may be certain instances where, if the service member has permission, their spouse could accompany them. Usually, this would involve a deployment to a less dangerous location. It is important to note that if the military member is given permission to have their spouse accompany them, then the member is responsible for ensuring that the spouse is taken care of, as well as able to keep up with the details required for the deployment.